Hearst Acquired Resin.com for Mysterious New Brand

If you haven’t heard of Hearst, you’ve likely heard of some of the company’s brands. Cosmopolitan, Esquire, and Men’s Health are 3 of dozens of brands under the Hearst umbrella.

Hearst, through those brands, maintains a healthy portfolio of premium domains such as Teen.com, Elle.com, and Motor.com. Recently, Hearst added Resin.com to that list of premium names.

The Resin.com domain was acquired by Hearst in February 2021 in a deal co-facilitated by corporate domain manager CSC and domain brokerage company MSN CAP.

Resin.com was previously owned by VertMarkets, a B2B publisher, and was the subject of a UDRP complaint in 2010 that was described as an “egregious abuse of UDRP.”

As of writing, Resin.com holds a “coming soon” page the contains the phrase “The brand behind world-class brands.”

What will Resin.com be used for? The “brand behind world-class brands” phrase used on Resin.com suggests that Resin will become a parent brand for some, or all, of Hearst’s current brands.

A trademark search shows that a company called CDS Global, which incidentally is a Hearst brand, recently registered a trademark for Resin, which describes Resin as:

Platform as a service (PAAS) featuring computer software platform for use in content and database management, marketing, mailing and fulfillment, business intelligence and customer service

Regardless of its use, it seems that the multi-billion dollar media brand Hearst is due to launch a significant brand in Resin. Naturally, the company secured Resin.com well before launching.

About James Iles

James Iles is a domain name industry writer and publisher of JamesNames.com. You can contact me here, or follow me on Twitter @jamesiles.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
1 Comment
Newest
Oldest
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Samer
Samer
3 months ago

ESPN is 80% owned by Disney (DIS), and the rest 20%; owned by Hearst.